Monday, June 5

Day #3 of family-based visits. 

Lydia: This morning Tobias, Aunt Kaylyn and I went on a walk to see the stream nearby. Afterwards, I trekked through some of the forest along the stream. The small waterfall was really pretty! I absolutely loved climbing up all the rocks and exploring. Unfortunately, I couldn't go very deep because there were fallen trees in the way, and I had to be able to hear when I was called. 

We chose to take a short detour through Woodbury, CT on the way to Naugatuck. My dad grew up in a NYC community. He spent his five teen summers on the Woodbury farm of his Aunt Florentine and Uncle George. George and Flo were married in 1909 and died, respectively, in 1972 and 1985. All of his life, Uncle George resisted gasoline engines, farming instead with his horses, Judy and Jerry. Eventually Flo bought a Hupmobile automobile and learned to drive it, Uncle George stuck with his horses. We found George and Flo's farmhouse, today well cared for. 


We arrived in Naugatuck at the home of Devon and Mike, my cousin's daughter and her husband. My dad's brother's family lived in Connecticut all their lives. Aunt Ruth is 94 years old and just returned from a 4-day trip to Iceland! Aunt Ruth and I share correspondence on a regular basis, exchanging photos of our most recent quilts, and in her case, knitting projects. She was awed to meet tiny Etta Grace and was delighted to hold her. My cousin, Sue, and her daughter, Devon, made us a lovely lunch and we shared a delightful afternoon. Tobias played with Butters' cat toys, while being curiously observed by Butters. Lydia found a huge box of Legos and set to work building.  I treasure the relationship we have with our far-away family. 




We've reached the end of "family time" activities. Tomorrow we begin to be actual New England tourists. 

Children's Activity:
(When Kaylyn and I traveled in 2008 and 2012 several homeschoolers followed our blogs, so we included a daily homeschool activity. This year we have a couple families with young children following our blog. We will try to post activity ideas geared for young children.)

Uncle George milked cows and raised chickens. Flo planted a large vegetable garden every year. As the vegetables matured, she canned them on her wood-burning stove. I remember my dad telling me that one of the best things Flo ever got was an electric stove so she didn't have to keep a wood-burning stove going all summer in her hot kitchen to cook and can. The funny thing is, canning doesn't use cans, it uses jars! 

Flo made her own butter. You can make butter! Take a mason jar with a tight lid, pour in heavy whipping cream and salt, then start shaking until it turns to butter. Enjoy a piece of toast with butter that you made! 

Reminder: Please sign your name to your comment - we are glad you are traveling with us!

 



Comments

  1. Such fun! ❤️
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are off to a wonderful start!! Safe travels! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane of the Writing LadiesJune 6, 2023 at 12:45 PM

    Looks like a fine start to a wonderful trip! Just joined the blog today. Lydia, of course you built something terrific and complex with the Legos, and of course Tobias loved Butters' toys! All of this is in the Forbes Travel Tradition. What a gift for everyone. Tomi Fay, you continue to amaze! (And Etta Grace has really grown since the surprise party! Adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fun - of course, anything involving Tomi Fay has to be fun. Love the online journaling as long as Internet is available. Have fond memories of all the notebooks I required Andy to keep - different color pens (now hard to read), drawings, photos, ticket stubs, etc. What seems like yesterday is 25+ (!!!!!) years ago - Lydia, when you read this years later to your own kids, you'll know what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the name Butters for a cat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please sign your name to your comment so we know who you are!

Popular posts from this blog